MENU



WELCOME TO THE MOST ELECTRIFYING WEBSITE IN BBQ AND THE HOME OF ROCKLAND COUNTY'S PREMIER COMPETITION TEAM! THIS SITE IS OUR CHRONICLE OF THE Q'NIVERSE. SIT BACK AND ENJOY OUR WORLD OF ASHKICKIN Q! ~TYWBBQ

December 15, 2011


Before I touch upon the HORIZONTAL/OFFSET SMOKERS.  I forgot to mention that, Sunday morning I woke up about 7am and made breakfast for the family.  Figured, if I’m not deer huntin’ I should be doing SOMETHING productive.  Well, my point is, I fired up flapjacks and SLAB BACON.  I bought a ‘slab’ at RESTAURANT DEPOT and sliced some THICK CUTS.  I put the cuts in a tin and placed it on the grill.(Buy yourself a CASE OF TINS – you WILL use them all the time).  Figured might as well let the entire neighborhood wake-up to BACON GOODNESS.

Kept the grill around 250 for a solid hour or so.  Knowing my soon would soon be downstairs saying, “I smell bacon and panPAKES!”  I quickly threw the pieces on the griddle to crisp then placed in a FOIL BOAT with cinnamon sugar and maple syrup.  I DID NOT ‘jumpstart’ the bacon because I planned on a fairly productive day.  “Jumpstart” bacon is the technique I use above WITH Spiced Rum (Captain Morgan’s or Sailor Jerry) in the foil boat along with the bacon, sugar and maple syrup.  WOW…THAT get’s your day STARTED!!

HORIZONTAL/OFFSETS
I just sold (well, I pretty much gave it away to a local KCBS judge.  Hope he ‘finds the flame’) my Horizontal SMOKIN’ PRO.  
I used this smoker for a few years.  The unit is economically priced.  It is a super unit for BEGINNERS.  Many have mastered the art of Q' in these units.  If you are serious about investing ina  quality smoker, you want a steel that can hold heat.  The horizontals work with the premise that the smoke exits the side firebox(offset) and flows through the unit to the exhaust.
  
MODS
-Notice the aftermarket temp gauge opposite fire box - never trust the original

-I placed dryer vent hose on the inside of my stack.  This causes the smoke to “find’ the exhaust, instead of a straight vacuum from the fire box.


-I placed two BRICKS wrapped in foil to ‘retain heat’ in the unit

-‘Seal’ the edges – I used hi-temp rope (frays after a while) from a local woodstove store bonded with a hi-temp black caulk – if you don’t want the effort, just ‘stuff” foil around the edges where top meet bottom.

-I turned the long coal receptacle ‘upside down’ in the unit.


-I put a sheet of metal above firebox entry to main chamber - used to diffuse heat

**TYW TIP** - Line the unit with foil – cover everything – this makes cleanup MUCH easier

The biggest drawback with horizontals is the heat displacement.  The grate temp. at the firebox will be significantly HIGHER than the far side of the unit.  Get yourself SEVERAL PROBES (Q’ technology will be forthcoming).  They are essential to know smoker temps. AND meat temperature.  “Q ain’t done by the clock it’s done when the TEMP. says it’s done!”

With horizontals BOTH charcoal and wood are used.  Many Q-cooks will use ONLY LOGS in their horizontals to maintain temp.  The lower-end units are 'hi-maintenance' in regards to holding temps. for extended burns.

Transport can be difficult for one person.

There are MANY companies who sell HIGH QUALITY offset smokers - check them out.  If you are looking to 'just get into smoking' and do not want to spend a lot of money, you can make an ECO (El Cheapo Offset) work for you! Just remember...YOU WILL want to upgrade!!  
You can SMOKE ON THAT~~~

Gran Pappy of Pork~~
www.TELLYOUWHATBBQ.com


1 comment:

  1. Smokers may be an acceptable near the stern of a lifetime, but abnormal wear or disease alone the manner prescribed, if it does not join. Shock absorbers, from these threats is the best way for smokers with an acceptable cover. Recognized as the best cover in barbecue, so smokers accessories.

    BBQ Smokers

    ReplyDelete