MENU



WELCOME TO THE MOST ELECTRIFYING WEBSITE IN BBQ AND THE HOME OF ROCKLAND COUNTY'S PREMIER COMPETITION TEAM! THIS SITE IS OUR CHRONICLE OF THE Q'NIVERSE. SIT BACK AND ENJOY OUR WORLD OF ASHKICKIN Q! ~TYWBBQ

December 29, 2011

PLANET BARBECUE

The library at school has a copy of Planet Barbecue by Steven Raichlen so I figured I'd give it a read over the X-Mas break.  For those who have never heard of Raichlen, he is a big time author in the BBQ world and proprietor of the BarbecueBible.com.  What appealed to me about this book was that it took a look at BBQ customs and techniques from 60 countries world wide.



The book is categorized by meat type and there are tons of recipes from all over the world.  For you guys who bleed RED, WHITE AND BLUE-- it went deep into the history of  Low and Slow smoking from the USA.  What really fascinated me about this book the most though was some of the traditional DIY rigs that many overseas cultures  have created to cook their meats. If anyone can appreciate homemade ingenuity, it's the man who painstakingly researched and built his own UDS (which the wife loving refers to as my Trash Can!)  Seeing the different types of grills/bbq's throughout the world was a bit mind blowing and also an inspiration for my next project.  Let me introduce you to the German Schwenker Grill!


I'm half German with the temper to prove it so once I read about this traditional German grill in the book I knew I had use my bbq fabrication skills to whip one up.  It seems like the ultimate in portable grill--can use it over any type of fire.  Here's a quick video of a basic one I found.






The coolest thing about this grill is NOT shown in the pic/video above BUT highlighted in Planet Barbecue.  Real Schwenker Grills have small fan blade like airfoils below the grill.  The rising heat from the wood/coals causes the grill to constantly rotate!  Yes Q-Believers--you can have a swinging, rotating grill for an estimated $10 in materials!!!!!!!  Build it and you will officially be known as a Schwenkermeister!!!  I know...awesome!  Don't take my word on it...pick up the book, whip out the welder and burn some meat!!!


1 comment:

  1. THis looks like a great book! I wish my school library had one!

    I was just reading an article on foods that boost your memory. http://www.elle.com/Beauty/Health-Fitness/Beauty-Tip-Brain-Boosters.
    What role does smoked meat play in memory preservation? Does it help boost our memories?

    Thanks for all the great info!

    ReplyDelete