MENU



WELCOME TO THE MOST ELECTRIFYING WEBSITE IN BBQ AND THE HOME OF ROCKLAND COUNTY'S PREMIER COMPETITION TEAM! THIS SITE IS OUR CHRONICLE OF THE Q'NIVERSE. SIT BACK AND ENJOY OUR WORLD OF ASHKICKIN Q! ~TYWBBQ

December 11, 2011

ROLLIN' DOWN THE HIGHWAY...


Today I planned on my next smoker review – THE HORIZONTAL – however, before I get to that I want to give you some Q’ REVIEW!!  Yesterday, my wife and I drove to POTTSVILLE, PA. for BBQ and a BEER.  Wait, WHAT!??  “You drove 280 miles to eat BBQ and have a BEER!??”  Yes, GET TO KNOW ME!


So, the wife and I drove to America’s Oldest Brewery in POTTSVILLE, PA for a brief stop at the YUENGLING BREWERY brewing since 1829.  Then we headed back down route 61 to IT’S JUST BARBECUE in Deer Lake, PA.  IT’S JUST BARBECUE is located just north of the CABELA’S off route 78. 

Let me add, this part of America is hard working, blue collar people.  Every field seemed to be filled with pickup trucks and pumpkins (hunters in blaze orange). The common Pennsylvania practice of the ‘deer drive’.  Hard work and deer huntin’ – that’s AMERICA.  (As a side note, I planned on getting’ out to hunt this mornin’ but spent a bit too much time around the fire last night.  As my good buddy Mike says, “You can’t serve two masters!” )

Notice the Traeger's in the background

After the quick photo-op outside, I checked out the TRAEGER SMOKERS chuggin’ away in the parking lot.  We ordered a sampler platter (only $17.99) that included pulled pork, beef brisket, smoked chix breast,  ¼ rack, 2 sides and sauce samples.  We also ordered the brisket chili.
The SAMPLER with chili 

We sat down and I grabbed the paper towels to ready for the inevitable.  ALL good Q’ joints need paper towels on the table.  My wife was not happy with her seat because she was facing the beautiful flat screen tv – only because it was showing 1,000 WAYS TO DIE.  Not exactly appetite inducing! 

My wife makes an award winning chili so she tends to be ‘chili critical’.  However, the diced brisket in this chili makes it very nice.  

The pulled pork was VERY moist and the SWEET/HOT sauce was delicious!!  I highly RECOMMEND this sauce.  The brisket was diced, for those who prefer a sliced portion. 

The beans were  EXCELLENT.  I wanted to take a tub and a spoon for the ride home but my wife gave me that, “You’re kidding me, right?” look.

The smoked chix breast was VERY MOIST.  The breast was sliced and had a great taste helped by a good rub.

It is clear from the New Holland Summer Fest BBQ Competition awards within the restaurant IT’S JUST BARBECUE is getting the job done both as an establishment and on the competition circuit.  OH!  I HAVE TO MENTION the STUFFED BAKED POTATO.  The folks next to us ordered two.  The potato was filled with, well, WHATEVER you want!!  Including cheese, onion, jalapenos…next time, for sure.

So, for that next trip out to CABELA’S be sure to turn LEFT out of the lot onto rt. 61 NORTH and get yourself to IT’S JUST BARBECUE for some good ol’ Q!

Yours in SMOKE, 

Gran Pappy~~

1 comment:

  1. Gran Pappy~~
    Do you hunt or are you a HUNTER?
    My friend Mike told me there was a big difference.

    ReplyDelete