MENU



WELCOME TO THE MOST ELECTRIFYING WEBSITE IN BBQ AND THE HOME OF ROCKLAND COUNTY'S PREMIER COMPETITION TEAM! THIS SITE IS OUR CHRONICLE OF THE Q'NIVERSE. SIT BACK AND ENJOY OUR WORLD OF ASHKICKIN Q! ~TYWBBQ

December 7, 2011

SO, YOU WANNA BE A BBQ STAR!!



If names like MYRON MIXON, MIKE MILLS, BOB GIBSON, RAY LAMPE and JOHNNY TRIGG make you smoke with envy, YOU are in the right place. If you have NO IDEA who these people are then YOU TOO are in the right place.

Let me first clarify the NUMBER ONE BBQ ERROR: If you invite me over for “burgers n’ dogs” that ain’t a BBQ! That my friends is a GRILLIN’.

Now, if you say, “Hey, Gran Pappy, c’mon over for a BBQ!” NOW, I’m gettin’ hungry. Because BBQ means LO n’ SLO. THAT, my brothers and sisters, is a BBQ.

Remember kids:

GASSIN = GRILLIN

Lo n’ Slo = BBQ

Now, don’t get me wrong. Like I stated earlier, I LOVE A GOOD PARTY. I have spent hundreds of hours eatin’ delicious food off the grill. Summer, spring, rain, snow…NOTHING stands between ‘a man and his grill’!! Damn that BOBBY FLAY!

However, the key to BBQ is lo, slo and smoke. Sounds easy, huh? Well, the concept is at least. Round bout the turn of the century, I purchased a Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain smoker (pic above). I wanted to venture into this ‘realm of smoke’. I figured, “How difficult could this really be?” Well, I had SO MUCH to learn. And the beauty is I’m learnin’ every day. I was a sponge for information, anything and everything Q’ related. I spent hours on the internet and morphed from SMOKING MEAT FORUMS (my first smoking home) and the Smoke Ring to the BBQ BRETHREN, a brotherhood of BBQ FANATICS.


Yes, I was initially hesitant when I fired up that first batch of coals (if only I had known about ‘chimney starters’ or the ‘minion method’!) I put some ‘chicken rub’ on that ½ bird. Coals – hot. Bird – in. Mesquite chunks – on.

Door closed. We have SMOKE~~~ crack beer. Sit down in chair. I AM A MAN!!

Several hours of watchin smoke later, I opened up that box. Wow…I did it. That WAS EASY!! < The FIRST TIME is always left better as a pleasant memory>>

It was that easy. Since that time I have purchased smokers, grills, accessories, books, videos…the journey continues.

~~Gran Pappy of Pork

www.tellyouwhatbbq.com

No comments:

Post a Comment