MENU



WELCOME TO THE MOST ELECTRIFYING WEBSITE IN BBQ AND THE HOME OF ROCKLAND COUNTY'S PREMIER COMPETITION TEAM! THIS SITE IS OUR CHRONICLE OF THE Q'NIVERSE. SIT BACK AND ENJOY OUR WORLD OF ASHKICKIN Q! ~TYWBBQ

January 26, 2012

Rub Wars

A long time ago in a backyard far, far away...

When I am not searching the net for the latest BJJ highlight videos or answering TYWBBQ fan mail from every inhabited continent on Earth I like to put on my DARTH BASTER helmet, slip into my tailored Offical TYWBBQ Apron, fire up my refuse receptacle and experiment with different barbecue rubs.  I'd love to tell you that I'm in the lab concocting combinations and grinding spices by mortar and pestle but my wife is 9 months pregnant, my son is almost two and almost insane, my pitbull makes Cujo look docile and I'm about 2 functioning lumbar discs short of a working spine right now!  Plus--there are only 24 hours in a day!  I don't have time to reinvent the wheel...but I do have time to comment on others attempts!  This is the first entry in my on going blog series...Rub Wars!  No Jar-Jar or CGI here, just the straight dope on the best rubs in the business...

Episode 1: Dizzy Pig--Tsunami Spin
Dish: Chix Legs
Smoker: UDS
Manufacturer description: This is probably our most unique offering, and depends on several mid and far eastern influences for its special flavor. The sesame seeds give it a buttery mouth feel and help to build a beautiful crust, and the aromatic spices come through with a well balanced splash of flavor.
:
Review: I'm going to go out here on a limb and state with absolute certainty that my chicken legs are the best in the business!  It's a fact--they have their own wiki page!  Amazingly all I do is marinate the legs for about 2 hours in Newman's Own Italian dressing, rinse them off, coat liberally with Tsunami Spin and let the barrel do the work for about 3 hours @ 265 degrees flipping half way.  I know--nothing to it, right?  Wrong!  Tsunami Spin is by far my favorite rub out there and the secret to this recipe!  It seems like there is a hint of something in there for everyone, even my fickle Asian Wife who, it shames me to admit, is not a BBQ aficionado!  It must be the sesame!  I can't keep these legs on the tray, especially if she is around.  I made about 50 or so legs for a work party a while back and those things didn't last 5 minutes!  Everyone kept asking me about the spices and wanted the recipe!  Now you got it-so go get it!  The guys at Dizzy are pretty cool, we met them at Hudson Valley 2 years ago and I gave their product a try.  Needless to say I won't be straying from the formula anytime soon.   

Stay tuned for future episodes of Rub Wars...May the Smoke Be With You!

P.S.--All you twitter followers out there...if you want to be part of Rub Wars and have us review your spices just let us know and shoot over a sample!
DO OR DO NOT!  THERE IS NO TRY!   -- MASTER YODA

The TrashMan aka DARTH BASTER!
RUB IT...SMOKE IT...PULL IT!
www.tellyouwhatbbq.com

2 comments:

  1. Darth BASTER... That's clever!

    "POOORK...I'm your father"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice right up. Love the DP's line of rubs, but that is one I have not tried yet. Think I may go out and get a bottle this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete