MENU



WELCOME TO THE MOST ELECTRIFYING WEBSITE IN BBQ AND THE HOME OF ROCKLAND COUNTY'S PREMIER COMPETITION TEAM! THIS SITE IS OUR CHRONICLE OF THE Q'NIVERSE. SIT BACK AND ENJOY OUR WORLD OF ASHKICKIN Q! ~TYWBBQ

January 21, 2012

SNOW BIRDS!

-Hi, My name is GranPappy and I have a BBQ PROBLEM.  It's Saturday in New York -- in the middle of a snowstom.  WHAT are you going to do??  That's a no-brainer SMOKE SOME MEAT!!


Figured I would smoke some BIRDS for the wife and 2 chillun'.  I bought 2 whole chickens (my boy ChiChi down at the Atlantic & Pacific cut them for free! I told him why I don't buy brisket from him anymore ($5.00lb)!! and he offered to cut the birds gratis and give me the whole chix price).  I decided to use a couple of the thighs for COMP-like PRACTICE.

1/2 birds - I gave the halved birds an olive oil bath then covered with the rubs mentioned below

Chix Thighs -I prepped the chix thighs by scraping the underside of skin -- You can 'hold the skin' with a metal spatula

**TYWBBQ TIP -- I prefer an old  PIZZA KNOCKER to hold the skin firmly while scraping with a VERY SHARP knife.

I ALSO, flip the thigh over and remove the vein that runs just above the bone 
ALSO, I dig out that FAT PATCH on the underside of meat.

##For the family-feed, I REMOVE the skin and trim a bit.  Therefore, the thighs will be 'topless'


Give the thighs  a quick EVOO bath -- and READY FOR RUB


--Let that sit for a while and then a liberal coating of THE SLABS CHICKEN AND RIB RUB

-- FOR EACH THIGH I was using for my COMP-practice (4) I melted a tablespoon of I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S NOT BUTTER
--I placed these thighs in a small tin and topped with the 'buttah'
1/2 birds -- topless thighs - Comp. practice in tin
NOT A BAD START for a family of FOUR!

- Put in the SHMOKE at 275-- with CHERRY and APPLE wood


--after an hour I will hit with some more rub and give a sauce bath - I will then FOIL

--Keep cookin' for another hour -- get your tongs -- quick BATH in sauce back into the smoke on the grates for about 10 min -- hotter the better -- mmmm....good. 

(JUICES run clear - birds are done -- 165 breasts - however, BBQ'ers don't use time to judge when meat is done)

JUICY PULLED CHIX



GranPappy of Pork~~
www.tellyouwhatbbq.com




No comments:

Post a Comment