MENU



WELCOME TO THE MOST ELECTRIFYING WEBSITE IN BBQ AND THE HOME OF ROCKLAND COUNTY'S PREMIER COMPETITION TEAM! THIS SITE IS OUR CHRONICLE OF THE Q'NIVERSE. SIT BACK AND ENJOY OUR WORLD OF ASHKICKIN Q! ~TYWBBQ

January 9, 2012

WebQuest: The BBQ Brethren

There are a variety of different reasons why someone might venture into the world of barbecue. I’m not talking about heading down to your local BBQ shack for some ribs now. I mean purchasing a smoker, grinding up some rub and standing guard over your thermometer as the juicy fat in that cheap cut of meat melts away!

Maybe you saw Pitmasters on TV or wanted to enter your church’s local charity competition? Some people have an ancient family recipe that constantly gets talked up at party’s. Still others do some simple math and realize that they can feed a lot of people with a few dollars’ worth of barbecue AND all those hours manning the smoker means time out of the house (and away from whoever might be lurking inside!). For whatever reasons you have been put on the path…now that you’ve made the commitment to step your game up beyond the hot dog/hamburger level you’re going to need some help and have just the site for you!

I have been a member of the secret smoking fraternity known as The BBQ Brethren since July 2009 and his Excellency the Grand Pappy of Pork has me beat by an entire year on the membership front. This forum/message board is without a doubt the greatest BBQ resource I have come across in the game so far. Guys you see on TV and read about on the web post here. There is so much info on this site that it would take 2 lifetimes to sort through.
I stumbled across this forum when I was searching for plans to build a smoker out of an oil drum like they do in the Dirty South. The first link to pop up in Google was this now legendary and simply titled Ugly Drum Smoker thread. I knew something was up when I saw the admin note declaring that this was the “mother of all UDS threads” and saw there were over 4500 posts since the thing started in January of 2009.

I took me my entire summer break to read all of the posts, some of which came from fellas with more engineering know how than most NASA egg heads! That summer my first UDS was born out of the knowledge gleamed off that forum. Today it is up over 9000 posts—AMAZING! Yep…I’ve read them all. DO NOT TELL MY WIFE—SHE THINKS I AM WORKING WHEN I’M ON THE COMPUTER!
Norcoredneck's Redneck Guru!
The Brethren site is much more than a UDS think tank though. Every topic you can imagine that has to do with fire and food is touched on somewhere in their vast servers. Singing up gives you access to their extensive recipe section and the ability to network across the country, actually—the world. I’ve seen a bunch of posts from the UK and Germany. I owe so much of my BBQ-IQ to the site that I bit the bullet and became a donating member. Prying money out of my pocket is no easy task (I did make a smoker out of a garbage can after all!) so for me to pony up some loot means the site is worth it!

The best part of the site was actually being able to hook up with some of the Teams posting on there for the annual potluck dinner at the Hudson Valley Ribfest. Many of the Brethren hail from the Long Island, NY area and attend that amazing event each year. It’s our “home” event being stationed about 45 minutes away from Mother Sloatsburg and TYWBBQ has had some serious success there over the last 3 years!

There isn’t enough space in this post to get into depth about the Brethren site. I just wanted to give the highlights and spread the word about it since it has been such a rich resource for myself and all of us TYWBBQ. You owe it to yourself to check it out. I’m going to use this space to review as many BBQ sites as I can so stay tuned for more WebQuests.

RUB IT…SMOKE IT… PULL IT!!!
The TrashMan
MASTER OF THE Q’NIVERSE

No comments:

Post a Comment