MENU



WELCOME TO THE MOST ELECTRIFYING WEBSITE IN BBQ AND THE HOME OF ROCKLAND COUNTY'S PREMIER COMPETITION TEAM! THIS SITE IS OUR CHRONICLE OF THE Q'NIVERSE. SIT BACK AND ENJOY OUR WORLD OF ASHKICKIN Q! ~TYWBBQ

April 27, 2012

GHETTO GREEN EGG

Hello, my name is Stephen and I cook BBQ in a GARBAGE CAN.  There are 3 reasons for this:
  1. I am incredibly cheap and get off on being able to hang with the big boys who pay more for their smokers than I do on my mortgage
  2. I like to be different--not short bus different mind you, but I like to stand out in a crowd and nothing stands out more than a trash can bellowing sweet smoke at a BBQ competition.  I've had more conversations with people about my rig than I can count.
  3. I'm a bit old skool in that I appreciate making things with my own 2 hands.  Building my UDS and the 8 or so others for friends has been fun and I enjoy tweaking the design.  You can't imagine the warm and fuzzy feeling I get converting a gas hog into a drum head!

Now, with all that being said...I truly appreciate the finer BBQ smokers out there.  The Backwoods Party that Pappy and Coach Beef each own is an amazing machine and I've used it in competition to get our best rib score ever!  I still see it as a one trick pony though--smoking only.  The ultimate in versatile flesh cooking machines has to be the Big Green Egg (which can be purchased in the greater NYC/Rockland County area at TYWBBQ's Official Sponsor County Gas Service) and other kamado style cookers out there on the market.   I know the BGE wasn't the first one of it's kind, but it definitely is the most popular one out there now and is TYWBBQ's security blanket at each and every event we attend!

Being able to convert from direct to indirect heat easily is amazing.  As our beloved Cleat-Master has said on many occasions, "this is the last grill I will ever have to purchase."  It does it all...The Fish has placed high cooking pizza's on his XL and we have used it to cook burgers in the same afternoon.  The efficiency of the device and it's ability to retain heat is legendary.  Almost as legendary as the price!  It appears as though a company has seized upon this fatal flaw of the BGE and positioned themselves in the market at roughly 1/3 the price.  Lady's and Gentlemen...may I present to you the GHETTO GREEN EGG from the good folks at Char-Griller!!

Here I was strolling through Lowes to pick up some weed killer when I meandered through the Grill section and damn near fainted when I saw this monstrosity staring me in the face.  It looked like and felt like plastic and seemed to me the most poorly made grill this side of Lil Wayne's lower mandible!  It is not ceramic like the BGE or Primo but made of a double steel layer with insulation in between ala the Big Steel Keg.
      

As I said above, I'm probably top 5 cheapest men on this green Earth but even I have to draw the line somewhere.  Momma always said, "you get what you pay for!"  Even though the cooker has gotten mixed reviews on several threads of the BBQ Brethren site I still can't bring myself to take it seriously.  It appears that the base/firebox of the grill is removable and secured by clamps.  Seems ripe for more leaks than the Iraqi Navy at first sight!  You can be the your own Judge Judy though...check out the clip below for a virtual tour of this "virtuoso" grillin' machine.  

I'm only commenting on looks and my opinion on its construction versus other kamados I've come into contact with.  You also have to take into account reputation and customer service...which the BGE is known for in spades.  The Cleat had a freak accident that ending up busting his lid and the fine folks at BGE sent him a replacement--FREE OF CHARGE!  Some people might be honky-doory with a Rolec from Canal Street in NYC--not me.  I'll take my Casio G-Shock any day over a fake knockoff.  I guess for the backyard, weekend BBQer on a budget this might be the answer to your low and slow prayers but we here at TYWBBQ will be staying O.G. BGE 4 LIFE!

LOVE, PEACE AND SMOKE
The TrashMan
TELLYOUWHATBBQ.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment