MENU



WELCOME TO THE MOST ELECTRIFYING WEBSITE IN BBQ AND THE HOME OF ROCKLAND COUNTY'S PREMIER COMPETITION TEAM! THIS SITE IS OUR CHRONICLE OF THE Q'NIVERSE. SIT BACK AND ENJOY OUR WORLD OF ASHKICKIN Q! ~TYWBBQ

April 13, 2012

TIME 2 POP OFF!

As an appetizer to Friday Funday Pizza Nite my assistant and I decided to throw together a quick run of jalapeno poppers in the UDS.  We did an informal taste test of a few rubs with my neighbors, my ATOMIC BUFFALO TURD virgin wife (who inspired the newest offering from the TYWBBQ Team Store) and of course the MAN WITH THE CAN, the big dog himself---ME!


The cook was a basic "popper" run for about an hour at 350 or so.  I dropped in the last of the hickory chips my wife bought me for Christmas and we were good to go.  Gave them a flip at the half way mark-like I said, simple and basic.  So easy I let my assistant man the barrel while I enjoyed the last day of my spring break.
My son wanted to help us out but in the Trash Family chores come first!  I promised to make him his own Garbage Can Cooker if his lines were straight.  Ah...he's still got a ways to go!

Here's a shot of the final product.  I used 3 different rubs on the bacon before the cook: Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom, Dizzy Dust and Dreamland's Bar-b-que Shake.
The results were typical--each one got a first place vote from someone!  Unreal!  That's not exactly true...the virgin Mrs. TrashMan barely made it through 1/4 of a popper before spitting it out and dousing her mouth with water.  I was in shock and have a call into legalzoom regarding divorce proceedings as we speak.  Needless to say, I got no data from her light-weight palate for this taste test and she is officially banned from all further BBQ endeavors until she makes some type of offering to LORD MYRON!


My vote was for O.G. Dizzy Dust as I thought the Venom too spicy and Dreamland too salty (in fairness it is a seasoned salt product and not necessarily a "rub").  My one neighbor picked the Venom because it was the spiciest and he has a death wish and 4 clogged coronary arteries.  My more conservative neighbor across the street enjoyed the salty bite of the Dreamland shake.  In terms of a control for the experiment, each person was given a plain popper with no rub for comparison and it ended up in last place for all the reviews.
The take home from this limited sample size is that you should select the right rub given your palate preference.  All agreed with how I described the taste/bite of each of the rubs so make the call based on your personal spice preferences.  If you were making a large number of poppers for a party or picnic, then I would either go plain or add the Dizzy Dust since that was the safest in terms of profile.  As long as you serve the proper dessert you should be fine...

LOVE, PEACE and SMOKE!
The TrashMan


No comments:

Post a Comment