MENU



WELCOME TO THE MOST ELECTRIFYING WEBSITE IN BBQ AND THE HOME OF ROCKLAND COUNTY'S PREMIER COMPETITION TEAM! THIS SITE IS OUR CHRONICLE OF THE Q'NIVERSE. SIT BACK AND ENJOY OUR WORLD OF ASHKICKIN Q! ~TYWBBQ

May 25, 2012

BEERASS BIRDS

Before the family heads down to D.C. for ROLLING THUNDER  decided to do a 'quick smoke' -- Speaking of ROLLING THUNDER -- BEFORE YOU READ THE REST OF THIS BLOG --

Spend 3 minutes and WATCH THIS VIDEO!! --> MARINE SALUTES ROLLING THUNDER

AMAZING mental and physical fortitude

NOW to ...Kickin' off MEMORIAL Day weekend with some BEERASS BIRDS (beer can chicken to most folk) -  Fired up the BACKWOODS -- I used 'all natural' briquettes, which is not really true because WHAT is used as the binding agent??  I prefer to use LUMP, WICKED GOOD as my standard -- burns LONG, HOT and has MUCH LESS ASH than 'chemical-quetts',



However, for grilling and quick cooks (2 hours) I will use briquettes.  I generally try to avoid the extra 'additives' on extended cooks.
EVERY man who considers himself a BBQ GUY must have a chimney starter




So, I wanted 300*  but she kicked up to 450* while I was 'engaged' in other activities for about 40 minutes, we won't discuss that!  I DID NOT use the water pan -- which caused the extreme temp jump -- so I quickly regulated down to 300* with the H20.

I did NOT USE the GURU on this cook -- wanted to practice 'naturally' -- below is the intake for hooking up the GURU fan
Reminds SOME OF YOU OF YOUR COLLEGE DAYS!!??

Prepped the birds with PLOWBOYS YARDBIRD -- Figured I would use COORS LIGHT for the 'Beer', keep them on hand for when Mom comes over -- Because WHAT THE HELL KIND OF MAN WOULD ACTUALLY DRINK COORS LIGHT!!??  Unless, he was attempting to stave of the Delirium Tremens.


Cut the can with my handy GINSU (**TYWBBQ tip** OPEN BEER and pour into saucepan BEFORE CUTTING CAN!!!
'Craps Light' in a pan with salt/pepper/rub -- put HEATED liquid in 'can cups' before inserting into bird A$$

 -- then I created two foil cups. WHY?
1. - to cover the potential shards
2.  the cap opening would not be so ideal for holding the beer!
After cutting I foiled both 'cups'
Added a BIG OL' chunk of APPLE WOOD -- smoked for 2hrs and 15 minutes -- juice ran clear breast was above 170* (many use 165* as a safe zone) I tend to err on the side of caution.



After one hour I basted birds with the juices that were in the pans
You need SMELLAVISION!!

When birds reached temperature I PULLED THEM (use gloves *very HOT)-- mixed with some BLUES HOG ORIGINAL and shake of SIMPLY MARVELOUS SWEET SEDUCTION
SO MOIST -- sorry for the jaundice coloration of the photo!

Sooo...In the immortal words of Burgess Meredith whilst playing the beloved MICKEY in ROCKY, "WHAT ARE WE WAITIN' FOR??!!"

GET OUTSIDE AND START SHMOKIN~~


HOWEVER,  take a moment NOW and ponder the meaning of MEMORIAL DAY.  IN MEMORIAM - honoring those brave men and women who gave the ULTIMATE SACRIFICE for us and our families.

Yours in Smoke~~
Gran Pappy
www.tellyouwhatbbq.com

No comments:

Post a Comment