MENU



WELCOME TO THE MOST ELECTRIFYING WEBSITE IN BBQ AND THE HOME OF ROCKLAND COUNTY'S PREMIER COMPETITION TEAM! THIS SITE IS OUR CHRONICLE OF THE Q'NIVERSE. SIT BACK AND ENJOY OUR WORLD OF ASHKICKIN Q! ~TYWBBQ

May 20, 2012

REDNECKS INVADE ITALY!!!!

Way before the Man found his Can, your humble refuse gourmet worked his way through college at a restaurant/deli/pizzeria/beer distributor called Frisch's in suburban Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  The establishment's claim to fame was it's Broasted Chicken (pressure cooked + fried at same time).  I'd put a conservative estimate at about 100,000 yardbirds that met their demise by my hand throughout my 4 years working there.  To this day, I still can't eat any type of chicken on the bone due to the flashbacks!



Amazingly for a chicken store run by a family of Germans, Frisch's was renowned for their pizza!  When I wasn't boiling birds in oil, I spent many an hour rolling out fresh dough and slinging pies of every concoction imaginable.  Fast forward 11 years, head 350 miles east, add a pitbull, 2 kids, 1 wife and the sweetest trash can this side of Sesame Street and you get Pizza Nite---Redneck style.  Yep...I'm talking 'bout fresh, homemade dough SMOKED ON THE UDS at 500+ degrees!!!

I've been reading Guy Fieri's book so I decided to use his pizza dough recipe.  It's pretty basic and super easy to make.  I proofed the dough for an hour at first and then a half hour after portioning and rolling.  You can pick up the book by clicking the image below.

First up I decided to make a calzone since that is the wifey's favorite.  In order to get the drum up to the desired temp I lit a full chimney full of kingsford blue and allowed it to burn red hot up to the top.  This is at least double what I start for a normal cook in the UDS.  I also open all of my vents (3, 1 inch holes and 1, 3/4 inch ball valve) wide open.  Within 15 minutes of adding the hot coals I was up to just under 500 degrees!
I rolled out a small section of dough to make the calzone.  Don't stretch it past the roll since you will be stuffing it full of cheese!  Coat one side of the flat dough with tomato sauce, a dash of EVOO, pinch of sugar, pinch of salt, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder.  To that you add a few unhealthy dollups of rocotta cheese, a few slides of fresh mozzerella and finish with shredded pizza cheese.  Fold the other half over like a peirogie and pinch together.  I cut 3 slits in the top to allow the steam escape and threw it on the drum for 15 minutes.  That was about 2 minutes too long!  The zone came out great but I wasn't happy with the color of the crust.  Next time I'll brush it with EVOO to get it to golden brown!

While my wife chowed down on round 1, I rolled out the finale of this 2 round slobberernocker--the pie.  Same crust, just more of it rolled and stretched.  I lightly coated the entire crust with EVOO before saucing.
Back in my pro days at Frisch's I was constantly getting yelled at by the owner for not taking the sauce all the way to the edges ("If people wanted bread they would go to the bakery!") and for using way too much expensive cheese ("Until it says your name on the sign, double the sauce and half the cheese!").

I must say that all the brainwashing effected my construction of this pie all these years later!  I used the same sauce concoction on the pizza from before and added the mozzarella pizza cheese.  Half the pie got fancied up a bit...fresh mozzarella chunks on 2 and sliced Italian dry sausage on the others.

Just like the calzone, I cooked the pizza on a perforated pizza pan.  Next investment is a pizza stone for the barrel.  I used my lower rack for both cooks as well.  My baby was blazing here...

My thermometer on the UDS was sitting tight at just over 500 when I dropped it into the can.  I cooked the pizza for 10 minutes and cut right away.  The results were excellent, especially considering it was the first time for me doing this in the UDS.  The smoke flavor was very unique and a plus in my opinion.  Check out the finished product...
Upon further review, my sauce needed more salt and the pizza could have used like 1 or 2 more minutes on the grill as it was a bit doughy in the middle.  If you plan on doing this at home in your oven, smoker or grill feel free to use store bought pizza or spaghetti sauce.  Cook times will differ depending on your cooker design.  I wanted see if I still had my pie slinging chops and once again prove to the world the the Ugly Drum Smoker is the most versatile cooker in the U.S. of A!  MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!  Hide the beans...next time we invade EL MEXICO!   ARRIBAH!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE, PEACE AND SMOKE
The TrashMan
TELLYOUWHATBBQ.COM

1 comment: