MENU



WELCOME TO THE MOST ELECTRIFYING WEBSITE IN BBQ AND THE HOME OF ROCKLAND COUNTY'S PREMIER COMPETITION TEAM! THIS SITE IS OUR CHRONICLE OF THE Q'NIVERSE. SIT BACK AND ENJOY OUR WORLD OF ASHKICKIN Q! ~TYWBBQ

January 30, 2013

Brisket 101


Brisket Class- Coach Beef, The Grand pappy and I headed down to the lovely little town of Shillington Pa to have the light shined upon us by local legend of BBQ Fred Bernardo!!! Have to say it was an enlightening evening. First of all, Fred and his boy Tim were as welcoming as two people can be. Fred may come off as just left of center in his videos, but the man puts on a great show and cooks a great brisket. I learned quite a bit that evening and tried to put it to good use the last two weekends. I was able to obtain a a 13.5 lb packer cut brisket last week, $ 2.58 a lb at the big box store. Fred's recipe and instructions were easy to follow. 


Saturday evening  I strapped on my cleats and started in. First off I trimmed any fat off the top side and got rid of all the silver skin. I also tried to separate the flat and the point a little cutting the fat away down the seam. I prepped my injection, some strained commercial bbq sauce, some beef broth and two types Brisket injection products. I cannot give away Fred's recipe but all products are commercially available. I pumped that brisket full of Juice and let her sit over night. Got up bright and early, fired up the egg, rubbed down my brisket and put her in the smoke. The egg was looking beautiful this crisp winter morning and for a change things were heading in the right direction. The brisket got up to 160 in a few hours and I put her in a pan with some beef broth and a few other odds and ends and let it rise some more.




You can see where I sliced into the fat line between the "Point" and the "Flat".  Looks just yummy at this point. I cooked this brisket to 201 degrees, AT this point I pulled it out and let it rest in the open air for fifteen to twenty minutes to stop the cooking process. Fred had told us that you could let it sit in the juice inside a cooler or cambro for up to 4 hours.


My kitchen smelled so good it only made one.  Re-cleated and began carving. Separated the point from flat and chopped up my burnt ends with a electric knife. Put those back in the smoke with some of Fred's Sweet and Tangy and started carving slices.

The electric knife made the slicing real easy and everything was delish!!!. As per Fred's advice I amde and Au jus from the drippings and gave the  slices a bath in the juice. The wife was happy and GranPappy, TrashMan and Coach BEEF all got a taste. Thanks Fred!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment